Thursday 18 October 2012

Vintage Holiday ~ Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays!! 

It is starting to feel a lot like Christmas in my world [67 days btw]!  This could be because of my Vintage Holiday quilt!!!  I finished it [it was one of the things I wanted to finish on my 4th quarter Finish Along list!!] and here it is:


I used my precious fabrics to make this one.  Deb Strain snowflake fabrics with several different plaids (some were lovely soft brushed cotton) so it is quite a festive and wintery looking quilt.  I love those snowflakes.  I have a few scraps leftover so I will hoard those for a rainy day :)



The quilt was an easy one to make - the pattern is fantastic.  I am so happy I participated in the quilt-along with Fabric Mutt.  This is my first festive quilt and will be putting a hanging sleeve on the back so I can hang it up to help decorate the cottage.  Or I could just cuddle under it...


I did stitch in the ditch and straight quilting on this quilt as well as some free motion quilting which is quite brave for me!  I limited myself to the white areas around each bauble so I didn't get overwhelmed.  I love how the fmq turned out - the baubles sort of puff out because of it so that was an unexpected quilty happiness.  
 

I love the back of the quilt too - especially that piece of red with white spots!  No selvage on it so I have no idea who it is by so if you know - tell me!  The border fabric on the front is by Stoff which matched the deep red in my snowflake print perfectly.  This quilt may call for TWO colour catchers when I wash it!  I used a solid Moda grey for the sashing and the majority of the back of the quilt.  I can't wait to wash it and see how my fmq turns out!


I'm linking my precious Vintage Holiday quilt to Fabric Mutt.  Check the link out to see some gorgeous Vintage Holiday creations!  I will also link it to TNT Thursday, Aloha Friday, Whoop whoop, Stitch in Time October Finishes and TGIFF for OctoberQuest!



Linking to {SEW} Modern Monday too!

26 comments:

Pennie said...

Aww, it's absolutely beautiful! I used 2 colour catchers with the raw circles one too - better safe than sorry, eh?!! :-)

Charlotte said...

yay! you got it finished! I am impressed :-D

Gertie Pye said...

Love this quilt Amy! And so impressed with your FMQ'ing. You are a lady of many talents!

Sarah Lou said...

This looks so beautiful and warm and snuggly - perfect for Christmas! x

Amanda said...

Could the red polka dot be this? http://www.joann.com/keepsake-calico-fabric-red-polka-dot/xprd862723/ That doesn't look like it matches exactly, but your fabric looks like it is the same as something I used and it was from Joanns...I've seen it there recently too I think. (http://fabricengineer.blogspot.com/2011/03/quilt-4.html has a picture with it.)

Marit said...

This looks so warm and cozy - love it!

Di said...

Beautiful. Your late night was well worth the result. Di x

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It is fabulous Amy! I love the plaid!

Lori said...

I love how those prints give this quilt a vintage feel. The plaid on the backing is absolutely awesome! You said it was from Deb Strain's snowflake line? I might have to check that out.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Amy -- your FMQ is great -- and I love the quilt!
Karen

Marla's Crafts said...

That turned out really nice. Its amazing how each look so different with different colours. Mind is done in green and I have it posted.

Ellie Q said...

It looks great, Amy! Enjoy hanging it this holiday season!

Maria said...

You did a beautiful job. Love the quilting.

MetroQuilter said...

This is a fabolous quilt, and great quilting.

Swedish Scrapper said...

Definitely Whoop! Great quilt, and love all those plaids you added to the Deb Strain!

SuperMomNoCape said...

Your Holiday Quilt turned out great. Whether you use it to curl up under or hang it to display, it will certainly brighten your Christmas.

Unknown said...

This is a great quilt. I wish my holiday projects were this far along! Thanks for sharing.
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Great finish! You will love snuggling under that come Christmas time (that's what I vote for anyway). Well done with the FMQ too. Looks great. You are braver than me!

Sweet Woodruff said...

Love the pattern and your fabric choices. I have tons of holiday fabric saved and stashed for years. I need to make this pattern. Thanks for sharing.

becca said...

thank you so much for this post!! i've been wanting to make a quilt for ages and needed a boost of inspiration! B

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

gorgeous finish - loving these vintage holiday quilts :)

Kelly said...

It looks fabulous Amy!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

It looks really pretty Amy! Jealous that you have something accomplished already! :)

Jenelle said...

Lovely! The quilting really accents the blocks nicely too. :) Thanks for linking up to TGIFF.

Beezus said...

I don't remember what that red dot fabric is called, but they make it orange, green, pink and purple, too, because I always try to grab some whenever I see it. Sometimes they carry it at places like Joann's and Hobby Lobby, but they also carry it in quilting stores. I love the weight of it, and I've got a piece of red right now that I'm hoarding for a future project. :)

Kelly said...

Oh it's fabulous!