Sunday 28 October 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival


Wow - it's time again for the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side.  Thank you Amy for organising such a wonderful event and I am looking forward to seeing all those quilts linked up so I can seek inspiration for my 2013 quilting adventures (aka To-Do list!).  It is a great way to find new blogs to follow too - a fun way to 'meet' each other!  If you are new to my blog -- WELCOME!  I hope you have a look around.

This is my second time entering the festival and I'm just so happy to share one of my finished quilts and to take part! 


I have decided to enter my Vintage Holiday Quilt because I love it so much.  This winter-y/festive quilt is my most recent finish and it seems quite timely since the weather here in the UK has dropped dramatically with winter definitely on its way!  Only 58 days to Christmas... My quilt is ready :)


I've only been quilting since September 2009.  I've been a crafter all my life and have a Bachelors of Art in Fine Art with a major of Sculpture and Printmaking.  If I had stayed at art college instead of going to university, I would have majored in textiles.  I love working with my hands.  I love different materials and mediums and I get such a thrill from making things and seeing my handicrafts completed. 


This summer, I heard about a quilt-along that would be making a Christmas quilt.  Ok I thought - I haven't got a Christmas quilt and I could hang it on the wall as decoration if I don't snuggle under it.  The quilt on the front of the pattern drew me in and I got started as soon as it arrived electronically [Vintage Holiday by Camille Roskelley].  I linked my finished quilt up to the Fabric Mutt who hosted the QAL.  A huge thank you to Heidi for all her hard work!  I thoroughly enjoyed making the blocks. 


I used some of my precious fabrics that I have hoarded since the autumn of 2009 [plaids and snowflakes].  When I first started quilting I thought that I would only ever make quilts using paid (I love plaid!!) but then I discovered the world of other fabric!!  This quilt is a mix of plaids, homespun checks and printed quilting cottons and combines my love of modern fabric with my love of those yummy plaids (though they are sometimes considered 'old fashioned').


I am so proud of myself that I was brave and managed to do free motion quilting on this quilt.  I've come a long way in 3 years and I have a long way to go but I am enjoying every minute of quilting, creating and crafting!  For the baubles I did stitch in the ditch around each one and then in the white space around them I did the free motion.  I'm really pleased how it turned out.  My stitch length is pretty consistent and I can't wait to see how it looks once it has been washed and dried.


I made a pieced back as you can see above and a full picture here:


Quilt stats
Quilt measurement:  52" x 66"
Quilted by:  me
Quilted with:  Aurifil thread
Wadding:  80/20
Pattern by:  Camille Roskelley 'Vintage Holiday'
Category:  Favourite Throw Quilt, Favourite Home Machine Quilted and Favourite Quilt Photographer


I hope you like my quilt as much as I do!  Be sure to pop back here on November 6th for my day on the Sew Seasonal Blog Hop!  There will be more Christmas sewing for you to look at! 

Happy sewing and enjoy the rest of the festival.  Voting starts in a few days!

Sew Seasonal Blog Hop

15 comments:

Jan said...

Your Holiday quilt is wonderful. It makes a big impact.

CitricSugar said...

Oh this is so cute! How festive without being "holiday" overkill! Perfect!

MarneyMay said...

Awesome quilt, the fabrics you have used are perfect.

Di said...

This is a beautiful quilt and the FMQ is awesome. Di x

Cherie said...

Wow what a great finish! Getting there early with the Christmas spirit!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Fabulous quilt - well done on all the FMQ - that's a huge thing! It looks so great!

moira said...

it's lovely, amy. Great quilting and fabric choices. *claps*

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful colors and a wonderful holiday quilt!

Kelly said...

It is a gorgeous quilt Amy!

Lisa said...

I just love this happy quilt! You did a beautiful job!

Lonci said...

Very spectacular, very nive - congratulations:))))

Shontelle said...

Gorgeous quilt...love the use of plaids.

Annabella said...

Oh it's perfect - I love it! All that hard work paid off and what an amazing quilt you now have!

Abby said...

Love this quilt! I want to go start on mine everytime I see an update on yours!

Alison V. said...

This is so sweet! I love that you used plaids in your blocks.