Wednesday 12 June 2013

Modern Mini Quilt Challenge

Modern Mini Quilt Challenge 2013


The challenge was to challenge yourself!  Try something you have not tried before and have fun with it.  So I did!  I made some SUPER MINI paper pieced flying geese!  Trying something new isn't so daunting on a small project so I just went for it and ended up with a flock of really tiny paper pieced flying geese.  I started this random project as a challenge to myself in March and I only just finished stitching the hanging corners and binding on!!  I am such a procrastinator!  Here is a 1p coin to show you the small scale of the geese:



For this mini quilt, I also tried some dense straight line quilting.  The end result is lovely and tactile and I am tickled with the effect!!  I love my mini even though it looks like a place mat!


I tend to save all sorts of tiny scraps so I was happy to use these tiny red scraps for the geese.


For the binding, I auditioned several different fabrics and the red and white stripes were just so fun so I went with that!  And I am happy I did!!  Reminds me of candy!


Dimensions:
Mini quilt:17.5" wide x 13.5" tall
Geese:  1" long x 0.5" tall
Fabric used: Kona, various red print scraps, Michael Miller
Thread: Gutermann
Flying geese paper pattern from Quilter's Cache but not printed to scale!


Linking up to:

Yay - this was one of my 2nd Quarter goals with She Can Quilt
 she can quilt
 
Linking to June Finishes

17 comments:

Turid said...

I love your small flying geese. I'm a girl of minis, the smaller, the better, for me. I've made some small geese once. You inspire me to try again.

Charlotte said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

heart of charnwood said...

So cute mini geese! :o)

Catrin Lewis said...

Wow! They really are super mini! I really like the effect of only having a few of them in the corner x

Gertie Pye said...

Wow those geese really are teeny! Love your mini quilt and the lovely straight line quilting. And the candy cane binding!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These are incredible!

Colette said...

love these, stunning mini!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

They're so tiny! It's lovely Amy!

M-R Charbonneau said...

LOVE! :)

linda said...

Teeny Tiny Geese love it !!

Amanda said...

I love your mini geese! They're so small and cute.

grapes and hearts said...

Love your mini and those micro-geese! Very done :o) And it looks ultra-modern!

Mara said...

WOW! so cute and tiny!

Amy said...

Oh, my Amy! Your mini is adorable.

Carrie P. said...

awesome job on those tiny geese.

Vivian said...

Yikes what tiny geese! But you challenged yourself and got it done. Good job!

Elizabeth said...

Those are some seriously tiny geese! I love geese and I love everything about your mini, from the pretty red mini geese to the grey background to the quilting and the stripey binding. Congrats on a great finish and thanks for linking up!

xo -E