Tuesday 13 March 2012

Inches, metres, yards - oh my!

Well, I got myself in a muddle.  Inches, centimetres, yards, metres...  Metric vs. imperial.  Imperial vs. metric - arghh.  In 'Harry Hill' style - I like fabric in metres.... but I like fabric in yards.  Which is better?  FIIIIIGHT!!!   I think I have a winner.  Imperial.  I think.  I like it when the pattern calls for a '4.5" square' but hate when it says '1 yard'.  I know cm's because of school but most sewing things are in inches... unless you buy fabric in the UK which is sold by the metre...unless it is a fat quarter which is then cut to the quarter yard size!??  We mix imperial and metric on a daily basis here in the UK.  Miles per hour on the roads, millimetres for rainfall, Celsius for weather temperature, metres AND yards for fabric!  No wonder I'm confused.

I had GOOD intentions to complete my Oh, Fransson Mod sampler quilt top this past weekend but the garden, the (gorgeous) weather and deciphering units of measurement all got in my way!  A feeble set of excuses I know, but I did manage to make 6 more blocks for the Mod sampler and I did some sashing... but not much!
New set of Mod blocks - with SOME sashing attached! 
I'm linking up with Canoe Ridge Creations for {Sew} Modern Monday, even though it is Tuesday today, and also with Sew Happy Geek's Manic Monday!!  Where has the month gone?  I have so much I need to get done but not enough hours in the day to do it all!  Hope you are all getting 'stuff' done. 

Sew Happy Geek

3 comments:

Annie @ The Village Haberdashery said...

This is a huge challenge for me too Amy! Reminds me that quilting and sewing have SO MUCH to do with math (even without all of the conversions required!) but I think that's part of the reason I like it.

For what it's worth we cut all fabric by the metre, including FQs which until now I thought was the done thing!

Allison said...

I think I would be confused too if I had to keep going back and forth between Metric & Imperial while quilting.

I adore that dot fabric! it's so cheerful :)

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Perhaps it is and I am confused once again!!?

The other night when I was cutting my fabric I cut too much as my tape measure was a yard but I thought was a metre. Doh. I'm learning!