Sunday 4 March 2012

Ahhhh....Sundays

Aren't Sundays the best?  Despite this one being cold, rainy, super wet and quite windy, I thoroughly enjoyed it!  The best bit was meeting up with the London Modern Quilting Guild group for our 3rd meeting.  I chatted with a few of the new members today which is great and got to see some awesome sewing by a very talented group!  Oh yah - I bought a few bits of fabric from Tricolette where the meeting was held.

We shared our February Challenge items which ranged from a hot water bottle cover, a wall hanging or two, a mug rug, a set of coasters, a few bags, some cushion covers, a couple of quilts and a fabric basket to name but a few.  The challenge was open to interpretation and though many of us were not 'Valentine's Day' types of people, we managed to create a wide variety of awesomeness! Well done everyone!  The March Challenge is:

Using your bag of scraps from the swap, your own scraps and/or your favourite fabrics, 
create a WONKY LOG CABIN block or a CRAZY block that measures 8.5 inches or 12.5 inches
(finished size).  Feel free to create both blocks if you like!  We will share our creations at
the April meeting.  The aim is to use up some of your stash to create something fun,
colourful, wild and to perhaps take you out of your comfort zone.  Tutorials can be found on Tallgrass Prairie Studiocomfortstitching, Quilt Dad and Ellison Lane

Show & Tell of our February Challenge was a lot of fun because of the different variety of things shown.  I am learning a lot from seeing what other people are making/creating which has inspired me to make a few things I never thought I would want to do (I'll be making a fabric bunny one day soon, inspired by the one Sarah brought!).  
Scrap Swap contents - so much fun!



Close-up of some of the fabrics - aren't they great?

We also did a "Scrap Swap" today which was pretty cool and was a change from last month's 'ugly fat quarter swap'.  We each brought a sandwich bag full of scraps (scraps no smaller than 2" each) and we each took a different baggie home.  It was funny how we all got so excited for a baggie full of scraps!  Thank you thank you thank you for my bag of scraps.  I see some Sherbert Pip in there, some pinks I am in need of and I love the dog and number fabrics!  In fact I can see myself using EVERY scrap in there.  I think a few more wonky stars will be made soon.   

All in all a great day.  Let me know what made your Sunday special :)   

7 comments:

Pennie said...

Glad you like them, Amy ;-) I think the meeting made my Sunday pretty special too.... well, that and going home to start my very own blog! Struggling to add buttons at the moment, but we're almost there. Look forward to seeing what you make with those scraps.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Hey that's great - can't wait to see your blog Pennie :) I'll be a follower for sure! Have a great week creating.

Pennie said...

Ok, here it is - might take some warming up! And for the life of me I can't add the LMQG button - I just get an empty space so one of the blogging experts might have to give me some advice on that. http://tuppencehapennyquilts.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

This morning was great! You got some fab scraps there.

Shevvy said...

I was going to dig into my scraps this evening, but ended up playing with my wool and new crochet hook! See you next time...

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

I spent the day looking at those scraps, my new fq's and blog hopping - TOMORROW I will sew :) I'm still buzzing from the meeting. I looked for the name badge thing but couldn't find it so maybe it is closed?

Karen O said...

That looks like a great bag of scraps! I see some favorite fabrics in there.