Wednesday 28 March 2012

Green-grey-teal-turquoise scrappy quilt top

Well - I put the 'pedal to the metal' tonight and got it done!  I ironed and sewed and ironed and sewed some more until everything was together.  I love it!  I can't stop looking at it!  I might make it a wall hanging :)  Will need to figure out how to do a hanging sleeve one day...  Anyways, I plan to quilt this one with straight lines, probably two through each solid vertically and then two lines again horizontally so they are somewhat oddly spaced.  Maybe... We'll see once I pin-baste it!  
I will take a better photo tomorrow in the daylight - these energy saving light bulbs do nothing
to showcase the awesome and subtle colours in this quilt top!  The top right hand block is a true
emerald-like green with a grey-white patterned fabric which doesn't show up too well, and the
sashing is Kona Ash - sorry for bad photo. 
[UPDATE:  new photo of top taken outside in sun]

I love the off-set blocks and the sashing in Kona Ash.  I almost went with Kona Coal for the sashing but decided to go with the lighter shade than the darker one.  I'm quite pleased with it anyways.  Can you see that I managed to use a piece of plaid?  Have I mentioned before that I love plaid?  [hahaha]  I also used a leftover bit of Moda Figgy Pudding from the table cloth I did when I first started quilting -- it was time to use it up!!  Some of the other scraps are from a pile of bits I bought ages ago so I have no idea which manufacturer or collection they are from.  I do have some Lotta Jansdotter and some Kate Spain fabrics in there, plus some Kona solids :)  I even think one of the scraps is a vintage bed sheet, but who knows!  I used some of the Kona green, ash and teal scraps from my Antique Tile block so I am quite pleased to use some of these scrap fabrics up.

So, I'll be entering this into the Stitched in Colour's Festival of Scrappiness.  Fingers crossed Mr Random Generator picks me because the prizes are out of this world!  There are already over 200 amazing entries so the competition is tough!  Do check it out - there are some fab quilts in there and so much inspiration!

I must say that  my sewing machine did me proud tonight - it didn't jam once or throw a wobbly or have a temper tantrum (and neither did I!) - it just kept sewing and sewing.  I don't think it's ever done such a long session before!  I do love my little Toyota (sewing machine, not car!).  It was a birthday gift from friends who got it from the dump (it was reconditioned) especially for me.  I've only ever had it serviced once because it seized from not being used when it was in storage from moving.  Eek - I hope it behaves at the FQ retreat!

Here is a picture of the blocks being organised...and a [terrible] close-up of the finished top.
I used the bed to lay out the blocks and solids to decide my
layout - so much easier than working on the floor!!
Close-up shots of some of the fabrics used, along with the solids.

Not sure if Pottery class is on tonight as there may be a strike at the college.  So, I may have time work on test sample #6 :)  I think I am one project away from making my final decision... Then I can start sewing multiples! 

I'll be linking up with Freshly Pieced WiP Wednesday too.
 
Best get going - I need to enter my quilt! 

[NOTE: If you are looking for the Shoulder Burp Blanket, please click here and you will be redirected to the correct blog post.  I didn't link correctly on the Festival of Scrappiness - my apologies!]

[UPDATE: Linking up with Happy Quilting T.N.T. Thursday.  I TRIED so very hard to NOT buy more fabric today (Thursday) but failed!  I ordered more solids and a few of the Flea Market Fancy fat quarters...  Can't wait for it all to arrive!  I also tried a new thing - designing my own quilt.  The green-grey-turquoise-teal quilt is my very own design.  I am happy I tried an idea out but next time I will do it on grid paper with coloured crayons!  I can now appreciate all the work that goes into a pattern!]

15 comments:

Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie said...

Love it!

Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie said...

Oooh, I like that scissor print!

Charlotte said...

that's so lovely! And I had no idea you like plaid ;-)

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Sashing is Kona Ash. The lighting was terrible so it makes the yummy light grey look like a yellowy wierd fabric!! I'll try to take a better photo soon!

Molly said...

very nice quilt- I really like it a lot!

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Yup - just a bit though!!!! hahaha

Jeanette said...

Beautiful colors, lovely pattern. I have used Kona Ash too, love that shade and a nice change from white!

Kerstin said...

I love how you mixed the different fabric together. Good job!

Kelly said...

It's gorgeous! Love the fabrics you used.

Teresa F. said...

Lovely fabrics that turned into a very nice quilt.

Cherie said...

Looks great!! I love the colours and the blocks! =D

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Congrats on getting another one finished just in time!

Melissa Corry said...

Buying more fabric is always fun :) Your quilt is lovely, thanks for linking up!!

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Thanks for hosting the linky Melissa :) Hey - I finally learned how to do a mosaic picture - so that's another thing I've tried!!!

Izzy said...

Love the quilt. Such a nice simple design. Good job!