Friday 23 March 2012

Finish it up Friday - nearly finished!

Ahhh Friday...  TGIF!  Or should I say FIUP (Finish it up Friday)?  I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish it up Friday.  Check out the neutral quilt top she's made - it is gorgeous!! 

All day at work I've been itching to get home to do some of the sewing that is crowding my brain.  So tonight when I got in from work, I went straight into my wee sewing space and I started on making a 'possible' Fat Quarterly Retreat swap item.  For the swap, I am to make four identical items to swap with four other people.  This means I will come home with four different items!  How exciting eh? 

My plan is to make a few test things first to see which will be clever, useful and original enough to give to four total strangers!  Not just any strangers mind you, but strangers who quilt - some of them professionally!  Do you feel the pressure too?!!  I have a load of ideas so I want to try them out first before I make the final four goodies.

Below is a picture of my first test item.  I used interfacing for the very first time in my life and it worked!  Wow for me.  I'm not sure if I like the loop for the button so I will look for some elastic and try that on the next tester.  But for a first attempt (even though not completely finished), I am quite happy.  If I go with this project as the swap item, I have some awesome fabric to use.
Black and coral bag with flap and button closure.  
You will notice I have a pin holding the loop in place - I still have to sew around the top to secure this in, and I need to sew the orange button on too!  Nearly there... then on to the next tester.
[UPDATE:  I finished it - here is an updated photo]

Finished - a small fold-over button closure bag.   Pattern from blog 'That Morris Family'
 Happy Friday.  Be sure to check out the other people linking up!

2 comments:

Cherie said...

It looks good so far! Can't wait to see the others =D

Kelly said...

Love that! Looking forward to seeing our other ideas :)