Friday 14 December 2012

Finish it up Friday - almost finished!

Ok - for me it is a finish.  Not a finished-finish but something DONE... 

I basted the Scrappy Wonky Star quilt.  Phew -- done!  To me this means I can stop procrastinating and can now get busy with the quilting, and I may even complete this small quilt this weekend!  Not sure how I will quilt it but if I leave it for a bit an idea will suddenly come to me - hopefully in the form of a suggestion from you guys ;)


Basting is the one bit of quilting that I don't especially like hate and it is probably because I live in a very small cottage so I don't have the space to do it.  All that bending over, stabbing myself with pins, the worry of thinking 'is it straight?'....  Luckily, this quilt is only about 45"x45" so I had the space in the living room to do it without too much hassle.  I bought the most amazing flannel (Cloud 9 Nursery flannel in white and sooooo soft) so I have used that on the back along with a small stripe of white on white as my quilt top was a tiny bit bigger than the width of the flannel, and can't wait to wash it and see how cosy it is. 

I did have a real finish this week - my hanging tea towels shown in my previous post.  I kept the red ruffle one and it hangs off the handle on the 'fake' drawer under the sink so it is easy to dry my hands on after I've done the dishes.  I love it :)  Especially the shiny red button I purchased specifically for this project!


This one is so Christmas-y and that is what I am going to do next - make the rest of the cottage a wee bit festive and put three up and somehow hang my Vintage holiday quilt.  I have a couple of these birds left so they will go on the tree.


I made seven of these little quirky birds - kept one, gifted two and sold two which means I only two left to use and/or sell.  Aren't they fun?  Pattern found on Sew Mama Sew.

Hope to see some of you at The Village Haberdashery Open Weekend tomorrow or Sunday - that's where you will probably find me drooling shopping :)

Linking to Finish it Friday.

PS - here are two giveaways to enter if you want to!!

Dreaming in Patchwork
Deck the Halls

11 comments:

Charlotte said...

I feel you on the basting - it's a bloody nightmare!

Alia said...

I'm with you... basting counts as a finish :) I also just basted a quilt that's been languishing around my sewing room since the end of August and I felt pretty accomplished when I was done!

beth said...

Your little birdies are super cute! so is the quilt!

Rosa said...

I with you,basting , basting means you are near the end and is my least favorite stage because I do it on the floor and ended with knee pain.Happy quilting!!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Well done on the basting! I hate it too!

As for quilting, maybe some echoing lines around the stars? Yeah that's all I got!

Looks like you've been quite productive on the Christmas sewing front!

Michelle said...

That quilt is going to be adorable!

Maja said...

Birdies are cute, but that Quilt is so fine!!!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I love the birds! And your stars quilt is really nice too!

Needled Mom said...

The quilt is just beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished.

MarneyMay said...

Your little birds are soo cute and your quilt is looking good.

Merry Christmas
Pauline

Kristin said...

love the wonky stars quilt. I hate basting too. Seems like such a waste of time, oh until you get a big pleat in the back. I just keep going, who is going to know, right?