Saturday 9 June 2012

Tuesday at the {summer} table

A Quilter’s Table

Yum - if you  know me you will know that I love food.  Cake mostly... but lots of other types of food too -- honest!!  Over at A Quilter's Table there is a linky party sharing recipes or things made for the table/kitchen.  So, I though that I would share one of my husbands favourite things - quiche, and a few of the things I've sewn for the kitchen!!

I made a quiche for the first time a few weeks ago inspired after tasting a quiche that Nathalie (who is part of our guild) made and have made three now!  So far I've made them on the weekends so Mr Crafty Shenanigans has something to 'pick at' on those lovely lazy Sunday afternoons.  Each time I have slightly changed the recipe to my mood - more cheese, less cheese, bacon on top, no sliced tomatoes on top...  Have fun and adapt/modify as you go! 

Easy Cheese and Tomato Quiche
Ingredients:
2 TBSP butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 or 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
3 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 cup (or more if you want!!) cheddar cheese - or whatever cheese you happen to have on hand
1 TBSP Parmesan - freshly grated or from container!  (or don't add it at all!  Leave a little aside for sprinkling on top later)
Two twists of salt and pepper
1 x9 inch pie shell (I use a quiche dish which is bigger than 9" and use already made shortcrust pastry  and pre-bake it for 10 minutes first but apparently you don't have to!)

Directions:
Yum - cheese and tomato quiche with no sliced tomatoes on top! 
Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the chopped tomatoes and stir, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  Take the cover off (I used a baking sheet for my cover!) and cook for 2 more minutes or until the mixture is thick.  Remove from the heat and set aside.

Pre-bake your pie shell - I do 10-15 minutes so it isn't fully cooked and it isn't brown yet. 

Beat the eggs in a large bowl.  Add the milk, cheese and Parmesan, salt and pepper - mix well.  Stir in onion and tomato mixture.  Pour into the pie shell and top it all with sliced tomato and a bit of Parmesan cheese if you want to!  Cooked bacon pieces on top is nice too!  Just sayin'....

Bake in a pre-heated 350*F oven for 45-55 minutes or until set.  Let stand 10+ minutes before serving.  Quiche is very nice cold actually.  Serves about 4 or one happy husband who eats a bit each time he passes by it!  Enjoy :)

I also share with you a mosaic of some the kitchen-y things I've made. 


From hot pads to placemats, to table cloths and dish detergent bottle aprons - I love making things for the kitchen! 

Happy baking/sewing - see you soon!

P.S.  Thought maybe I would show you one of my stoneware pots.  I still have a few to collect from the college but I did manage to get this one from the kiln a week or so ago.  It is a large one with three different colours of clay slip applied to the vessel before it was bisque fired.  I used shiny transparent glaze to finish it off.  It is my favourite :)



Linked to:

7 comments:

Cherie said...

Great sounding quiche! Love all the things you've made. The apron is so cute! =D

I'm having a giveaway on my blog. There is one extra day to enter =D
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/official-150th-post-giveaway.html

machen und tun said...

Hi Amy, oh this cheese-indulgence looks fab... I think i actually might try this! And i love your pot!! you are talented in so many ways, incredible :-)
Have a great sunday,
Claudia

Debbie said...

Your quiche looks awesome - yum! And wow you have made alot of table-related projects! Very cool. and loooove that you make pots - something I wanted to learn to do but never did. Thanks for joining in & linking up to the {summer} table!

Catherine said...

I love your pot! I had already had a look at your others - they're lovely. What a fantastic thing to be able to do. Going to save up for a mini kiln?!

trash said...

What? That pot goes in the oven? No, I read that wrong, yes?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't know you made ceramics too! I do as well. Although I'm taking a little break from it now, because I have made so much and it is not easy to send to other like quilting things.

sydthewyd said...

I like that you snuck a funfetti cake into the "things you made" mosaic ;)