Tuesday 19 June 2012

Modern art inspired sewing

Today I got some homework done.  It isn't due until the 8th of July but it feels good to get it done and crossed off the 'to do' list! 

At the May London Modern Quilt Guild meeting, we set the folks a challenge to make something (a quilt, bag, potholder, pillow case - anything they wanted!) inspired by a piece of modern art.  The challenge was to use solids as well.  So today I created my project inspired by an oil on canvas painting by Ben Nicholson.  Here is a photo borrowed from eHive of the Ben Nicholson painting:

1939 (composition), Ben Nicholson, 1939, L2008/5
"1939 (Composition)" By Ben Nicholson - photo from eHive 
 And here is my interpretation of the painting made into a coin purse:


I used my printout from the computer for the dimensions and did some improv cutting and sewing to get it to the right size for a coin purse.  I did not do borders as the purse was big enough without them - it measures 5.75" x 4.5".  For the back of the coin purse I used a light grey with black floral print (not a solid I know!!) but it was something I got in the Fugly Fabric Swap at the FQ Retreat and I didn't think it was ugly at all!  At least the grey/black fabric hides any dirt better than the white on the front!  The red isn't solid either, nor is the white as the white has an overall white pattern printed on the top. Ok, so I didn't follow my own rules exactly but that's what's so fun about doing the challenge!! 


These pictures show the printout with my fabric selection, the printout cut up into the sections that I pieced together by machine, and the finished product with the printout - a pretty close interpretation, don't you think!?  All in all I quite like it!  I wasn't going for a 100% copy - I was going for the essence of his painting and I think I achieved that.  I used scraps from my scrap bin so this didn't cost me anything extra to make and I used a zipper and interfacing that I had on hand as well.  Sweet!!  Oh yah by the way - I'm trying very hard to be on a 'fabric diet' so this is why I'm so pleased with myself for using things on hand!!  Not sure how long I will last...

What would you make if you were set the same challenge?
_________________________________

Peanut Butter seems to be on my brain at the moment as I just can't get enough of it.  The reaction to my peanut butter, bacon and jam sandwich was so funny!  I'm still giggling about all the comments and yay for all of the supporters (all three of them!) of my crazy sandwich.  I'd make one right now but I haven't got any bacon in the fridge.  Oh well...but I do have peanut butter!!  Here are some good old fashioned [no bacon or jam] peanut butter cookies.  Yum.  Just how my mom made them.


Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup shortening (or butter)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
vanilla
1 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
2 1/2 cups flour
Bake at 375* for 15 minutes

A Quilter’s Table
Linked up
TOP TIP:  Make balls of dough and press with a fork to flatten them.  Dip the fork tines in flour before you press the cookie so it doesn't stick.  Some people use icing sugar instead of flour.  The flour disappears in the baking so don't worry if there is flour left on the cookie dough.
Enjoy your day - happy sewing and baking!  Linking up with Tuesday at the {summer} table, Frontier Dreams Keep Calm Craft On, Canoe Ridge Creations {sew} Modern Monday, Quilt Story Fabric Tuesday, Sew Happy Geek's Manic Monday, sew many ways sew darn crafty party and June Finishes.

13 comments:

Charlotte said...

that's fab! I am very impressed! (and NOM cookies!)

Cherie said...

You make me laugh! I can't stand peanuts! =D

M-R Charbonneau said...

It looks great, Amy! Love the colour combo. The cookies look delicious!

Di said...

Modern art sewing to a tee. Good idea to turn it into a zippy pouch. Di x

Debbie said...

What a fun pouch! And pb cookies are a FAV! Thanks for linking up, Amy!

Tanya said...

I love it!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Oh it's fab! Will have to try the cookies too, I'm a huge peanut butter fan :o)

Kelly said...

Love yur challenge zippy and you have prompted me into making my own challenge block.
The peanute butter, bacon and jam is still wrong, though those cookies look niiiiiice ;-)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

That coin purse is awesome! Great job! Megan

Sewing for Utange said...

Love that purse - what a great challenge!

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

Fabulous idea to make a quilt inspired by a piece of modern art. I am a fellow Plum and June blog-hopper.

Elizabeth said...

I haven't had a homemade peanut butter cookie in . . . I don't know how long.

So, I LoVE your little modern-art-inspired-purse! What a perfect project for that particular piece. Great interpretation! Thank you for linking up!

xo -E

scott davidson said...

If you want to make your home really look really beautiful , paintings are the best way to do it believe home looks very well decorated . If you are looking to find Oil Paintings Reproductions at very economical price or cheap rates, you must visit wahooart.com