Sunday 10 June 2012

Potato bunting

Today I needed cheering up!

I grow four varieties of potatoes in my garden...  And two types chives, basil, tomatoes (2 varieties), mint (2 types), green beans, yellow beans, purple beans and two varieties of rhubarb, to name a few things!  Being in a 'drought', one would think that I would spend much of my free time watering my vegetable garden using my one watering can... Nope - I spend my free time sewing wonderful things that cheer me up!!  Cue cheerful "POTATO BUNTING":
Photo taken at dusk when it was just about to rain... 
Can't wait to see how my bunting looks in the sunshine!
I haven't had to use my lovely lonely watering can because Mother Nature is spending all her time watering my crop herself (she is so kind, right?).  The trouble is that she is over watering everything!  We've had so much rain that my sad poor potato plants are rotting!  Yup - I have rotting stems in them there bags = not good!  So much for this being a 'drought'!  I would love for a week of warm-ish weather to happen so I can use my lovely lonely watering can and carefully tend to my produce myself.  All this rain seems to be undoing all my hard work!!  But on a positive note, I sew when I can't do the gardening. 
These Laurie Wisbrun fabrics are so whimsical - this picture doesn''t do them justice!
So, this is why I made some fun and happy bunting and hung it above my sad poor rotting potatoes -- to cheer me up!!  Hopefully this will cheer the spuds up too and they will produce lots of yummy little new potatoes...  Here's hoping anyways!  As I type this it is pouring, yet again!

Thank you to The Village Haberdashery for stocking this bunting!


Ellison Lane QuiltsIn summary, with all this cheering up, I've decided to enter my "Potato Bunting" into Ellison Lane Quilts Summer Sewing Contest under the Home Decor category.  Wish me luck!!  [and my potatoes!]

P.S. The London Modern Quilt Guild has a show of mini quilts up in the Oxford Street John Lewis - click here  for more details!! 
Bunting linked to June Finishes and to Manic Monday.

13 comments:

Cherie said...

Gosh the weather has been awful! I find it rather funny how they can pinpoint the exact hour when it'll start raining now.
Great bunting, hopefully the potatoes will feel the love and start growing again =D

Deborah said...

I love your bunting! So sad when the weather doesn't cooperate. I hope your potatoes pull through!

Christine said...

Ah so cute, potato bunting it has got to make the potatoes feel better too!

Elisabeth said...

Love Laurie Wisbrun's cheerful fabric, especially the cute rabbits. I have to make some new bunting for Ellen's climbing frame. I might just take inspiration from your lovely bunting :-)
Good luck with your potatoes.

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you have made bunting to cheer up your vegetable patch. The fabric is adorable, especially the bunny somewhat like Peter Rabbit hopping through!

Charlotte said...

bloody rain!
Love the bunting though, all vegetable patches should be so lucky!

Colette said...

Lovely bunting, I hope your potatoes appreciate it. Darn rain, we need SUN now please!
Your quiche recipe sounds delicious - I will be trying that. x

Annie said...

This looks so great Amy! I just tweeted it.

Annie said...

This looks so great Amy! I tweeted it!

Sarah Lou said...

Love it! You have been busy, I haven't actually managed to get any veg in this year :( At least this weather is good for holidays, I've been away for a week and the flowers haven't dried out.

Jenniffier said...

Great bunting sorry to hear about your potatoes. I just started my first garden and the wind tried to knock over my corn and my bell pepper. This darn weather has not been helping. Here it is so hot that I am having to give them drinks twice a day just so the don't wither up.

Elizabeth said...

Your garden is beautiful! How about this, you send your rain over here and I'll send you our dry hot days. Perhaps your potatoes will dry out and all the fires going on here will be doused.

What a cheerful bunting and a great addition to your beautiful garden! I love the colors. What a fun finish. Thank you for linking up!

xo -E

Ivy & Co said...

featuring this at bestbuntingontheblock.blogspot.com today!