Sunday 17 March 2013

Testing testing ...

I joined Handprinted Swap III because I love hand printed fabric and wanted to rekindle a love affair I have with printmaking.  I tried a lot of different printmaking techniques as a teenager/twenty-something at art school and at university so I am a bit a lot rusty!!  I also joined because Leslie of Maze & Vale makes wonderful printed textiles (I have used pieces of her fabrics in a couple of my quilts) and she is the host/motivator/organiser-extraordinaire of Handprinted Swap III. 

I have the materials to make some carved block 'stamps' but what I really wanted to do for this swap was silkscreen [screen printing] so I made an image and got a custom screen made (so much easier than faffing and making my own plus I am on a deadline!!).  Here are my first few print samples that I did on Saturday night on some scraps to test the white opaque ink.

On Kona purple
On Kona Ash with an attempt at a 'repeat' of some sort
On Kona Eggplant printed in a row
I also ordered a pre-prepared screen called 'Sprigs' which I love and I tested that tonight too!  I did not design this screen so I won't be sending these out - but how cool are they!!???

On Kona Charcoal
 

I have White and Black inks plus Lemon Yellow, Turquoise, Magenta and Sea Green inks to play with!  Looks like I will need to wash some more fabric so I can keep experimenting!!

Stay tuned for the finished four fat quarters that I will be swapping, and for what I receive in return!  I am SO EXCITED!!!

 

14 comments:

queenopearls said...

MOST excellent! I adore your screen of stick figures!
~ Christina in Cleveland, OH US

moira said...

so cute!

linda said...

love the cute fabrics and the sprigs are lovely looking forward to see what you come up with !

MetroQuilter said...

Wowser!

Vicki said...

These are really cool Ames! They'd make great sheets and pillow cases!

heart of charnwood said...

These are fab Amy, well done, where did you get your prints from, and was it expensive!? Love those stick people. :o)

Charlotte said...

LOVE them!!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These are fab! Your print making sounds really exciting :)

Di said...

You are one talented lady. Di x

DeborahGun said...

I love your stick figures Amy - they are too cute!

Catherine said...

Your little figures are great! What make of ink/paint are you using?

Gina said...

I love your little people too !

Patricia Lessell said...

I love it all and would be so happy to get any of these in a swap. Thanks too for the link to Leslie - her fabric is gorgeous too. I love the naivity of yours though I have to admit and have to stop using the word love for everything because it starts to be meaningless but I really do LOVE LOVE LOVE your fabric and would so buy it.

Rachael said...

So cute! Can I ask where you got your screen printed? thanks

Rachael