Wednesday 27 February 2013

My 'Calypso' envelope clutch

I tried soooo hard to get my Lovely Year of Finishes February goal (Oh Fransson! Mod Sampler quilt) finished for the end of the month but it just didn't happen.  I spent almost 4 hours free-motion-quilting it in a random stipple and completed almost 2/3 of the quilt.  Then I decided I hated it because my stitch length was uneven all over the place and that bothered me so I [foolishly] thought that I would just rip out one length of quilting but you know how THAT goes...

Four days and probably 8 hours of ripping out and I have a quilt with no quilting on it.  I did attempt to do some straight line quilting on it tonight after I ripped that last bit of thread out but Mr Toyota just wasn't playing.  He kept snapping the thread for no apparent reason.  So, I changed needles.  Nope.  I changed thread (brand and type).  Nope.  Nope.  Bobbin changed.  Nope.  Nothing worked or made my stitches better so I set it aside and moved on to making a clutch!  For some reason Mr Toyota had very few issues while making the clutch! 

CALYPSO ENVELOPE CLUTCH

Front of clutch.  Envelope Clutch pattern by See Kate Sew.

See Kate Sew has a tutorial and free pattern for this cute clutch on her blog.  It takes less than 2 fat quarters and some interfacing to make and presto - instant gratification because you can be done in about an hour.  I feel better now for getting something finished tonight!!

Kona purple of some kind for inside of clutch.

I think the Calypso fabric was a great choice because of the non-directional print -- plus I got to rummage through my button tin for the perfect big yummy button.  I loooove buttons!  I made the button hole a little too far to the left but hopefully if I hadn't mentioned it you wouldn't have noticed it??!!  I'm too critical for my own good I think!

Back of clutch.  Fabric used is called Calypso Large Floral Turquoise. 

The clutch measures approximately 8" x 12.5" which is a fair size.  I'm not sure what I will put in my new clutch but I'm sure I will find something!  The Mod Sampler will have to become a 'March' finish I suppose.

Linking to Cat Patches.

13 comments:

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Very cute! How about a sewing project? An E Reader? Some fancy stationary? What fun to find a purpose for a fancy envelope!

kate said...

adorable! I have totally been there with messed up projects, sometimes you just need a quick and fun thing to sew! I love the way the floral print looks on this!! Thank you so much for participating!!

Izzy said...

The clutch looks awesome Amy. I think you are a little over critical... There's no way anyone could tell ypur buttonhole is a little off! I suspect the quilting was just fine as well. :-)

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Love the clutch, Amy! So cool. Maybe Mr. Toyota just needed to relax and have a little fun before he set off to quilting again. ;) That really does look like a fun clutch pattern!

heart of charnwood said...

Good thinking, one project just wasn't working, move on for a quick fix hit, and go back to it another time. Cute clutch, good work! : )

Charlotte said...

I can't believe you had the patience to rip out all that quilting! I am impressed :-D

Elizabeth's quarters said...

Don't beat yourself up about the sampler-it obviously wasn't meant to be, and you wouldn't have a fabulously tropical clutch if it had.

Mary Menzer said...

Sometimes these machines just do not want to cooperate! I usually find out that it is something I have done wrong over and over. I hope you figure that out! It is frustrating!
Lovely clutch, simple to make - would be a good gift too.

Rachael said...

Ooh pretty. Ahh ripping out the quilting, but if you didn't love it its the right choice

Rachael :)

Barbara said...

How cute. I love that design. Thanks for linking up today.

Junebug613 said...

What a neat project! I might go make one for my new tablet! We are all a little too critical of our own work. Usually, no one notices our "mistakes" until we point them out. They give each piece character and show that they were made by an individual, not a factory.

Sandy Panagos said...

Well I guess you weren't supposed to get anything else finished except for the clutch. It's awfully cute, and I love the fabric!

liniecat said...

Smart clutch that!