Monday 28 April 2014

Fabric Fast - April update

My fabric fast is going ok...ish.  In my original post, I listed these goals:

GOALS:

- To use the stash I already have (to make quilts and other things)
Update:  I have made a wallet, half an Alligator quilt, a Shaggy Edge plaid quilt, used a tonne of 5" charms to make the Cherry Charm quilt top, made a Triangle quilt top, used my scraps to make more pincushions and used several metres of backing fabric - all from stash.  Here is the Triangle top:


- Aim to finish UFOs and PHDs BEFORE starting something new
Update:  hmmm... this is debatable but I HAVE crossed several things off the list.  However - I may have added more to that (original) list which means the list is in no way no smaller than before!

- Stop buying the latest and greatest fabric and save money!!
Update:  In April I purchased some Kona Solids for which I have no purpose - YET!  Oh and a mini charm pack for my Scrap Vomit quilt.  Oh and some fabrics for the New York Beauty Dear Stella/Timeless Treasures Challenge.  See next point below to explain why!!


- Only buy what I need in order to complete specific projects/commissions
Update:  I purchased some Dear Stella Dots and some Timeless Treasures Rain and Sketch to complete my #DSTTChallenge so I am allowed that!  I am also allowed the mini charm pack for my Scrap Vomit quilt!


- De-stash the fabrics that I realise I am never going to use
Update:  I have de-stashed, swapped and given away, to-date in 2014, 27 fat quarters.  Yes, 27 fat quarters have left the building folks!

- Make a list of all projects that have been started and work through them!
Update:  I have made a HUGE list and keep adding to it.  Several things have been crossed off so I am a happy camper!

In summary: 
I have been using my stash.  I have used quite a bit of it, given some away, swapped a bit and sold a few pieces.  The amount of fabric that has come IN to the house is still LESS than what has gone out or been used = I am a *good girl!

Linking to:

FabAnon

*in my experience, an addict can always find a way to justify their actions.  Yes, I am an addict!

16 comments:

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Great post that made me laugh because I relate to buying when I don't need to and yet find some reason that I must have more. The triangle quilt is great.

Kathy said...

Lol...your post had me chuckling at I bought these with no purpose and I never stopped laughing after that. Laughed so hard tears came out of my eyes. Surprised to find I am not on the floor rolling with laughter. Boy can I relate to being an addict...that is why I was smart enough NOT to take the challenge. Some day I will need an intervention...yikes!!!

Izzy said...

Your post had me smiling from ear to ear. I keep telling myself that I need to use what I have, use up my scraps and stop buying fabric just because it's on sale! It isn't working out for me though...

Amy DeCesare said...

More laughs and smiles are coming from me to you! In my twisted mind, the triangle quilt justifies everything else. It's just so fabulous, and the new fabrics are your just reward for making something so brilliant!

Pennie said...

That triangle quilt is fantastic, and those pay-day Aurifil are going to be just the things for the quilting!!

Lorna McMahon said...

Just keep on doing what you're doing, Amy. Because the progress you are sharing is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S! The triangle quilt was like WOW and the mini???? WOW-IE!!

Charlotte said...

you are doing much better than I am! I've not actually managed to use any of my quilting fabric at all - I've just been totally diverted to making clothes! FAIL!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I think you're doing really well!

✄ Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy ✄ said...

That triangle top is *gorgeous*...and fabric fasts are hard man! Other than my monthly subscription and a bolt of Snow I need to complete a bunch of projects, I haven't bought any fabric since December. And it has sucked!! I feel for ya. You're doing great!!

Lisa said...

Beautiful work my friend! Me I failed miserably this month!

Susan said...

Good work! You have reminded me that I need to sell or give away some of the fabric I'm not going to use. I have my mothers stash of Lilly Pulitzer and Key West Handpaints from the 70's! Yes some emotional attachment but it's time to say goodbye.

Beth said...

I love the way you listed everything out. You are doing really well!

Suz J said...

Wow, the triangle quilt is amazing. I'll have to read back a bit to find out a bit more about it. I think we have all been *good* - just some seem to be better than others. Great justifications though :0)

knottygnome said...

congrats on using stash for our projects and for destashing! i'm not sure if i'll ever be ready to part with anything.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your triangle quilt :)

Lisa Lisa said...

I was trying to do the same thing - just use my stash. That didn't last long at all. Congrats on using so much of it and getting so much accomplished! You deserve some more fabric :)