Friday 16 May 2014

Modern She Made - Hexie Swap

You already know that I LOVE SWAPS!  I signed up for the Modern She Made Hexie Swap and was sent my partner.  After a bit of stalking, I decided that I would make her the Sew Together Bag.  I started this bag at the very beginning of March and got to about 90% complete.  Then it sat and sat and I realised I really disliked the print fabrics I picked.  So, out came my handy clover seam ripper and I took it back to just the pocket section.  And now here is what it looks like - COMPLETED!!


I love this fabric - so happy and colourful and I am so lucky that it coordinated with the pocket section I made originally!  I did a tiny bit of hand quilting on some of the diamond shapes and love how those diamonds actually make hexies.

The pattern makes a really clever three-zipped-pocket pouch with storage sections in between and opens wide but boy did I struggle with the instructions.  Thankfully The Quilt Barn did a sew-along earlier in the year so there were visuals for me to turn to!  [I am a visual learner]


Kona fabrics are the best - all of those solids sure come in handy when making bags!  I went with a dark blue (not sure the shade) that I had on hand that matched the navy on the outer fabric so it tied it all together.  I love it when a plan (ahem) comes together!  'Sew Together'... hahahaa

This label sums it up:


Here is the whole parcel that I sent.  I had fun gathering teas, a rainbowy notebook (my partner loves rainbows), chocolate, scraps, zippers and a tea towel with hexies on it and a hexagon shaped potholder.


And here is the pot holder and coordinating tea towel. The colour is a little off here - the purples and oranges look electric but they aren't that bright in person. 


I sure hope that my partner likes everything because I had a lot of fun sewing for her. 

GOOD NEWS:  this is one of my 2nd Quarter FAL goals and I can now cross it off my list!

Linking to ALYOF May

 A Lovely Year of Finishes

Linking to TGIFF over at My Quilt Infatuation and with Finish it Friday

14 comments:

Anita said...

Lucky partner! Love all the rainbow and hexie stuff :)

Kay said...

This is a great package, you have a lucky partner. I really love the label too!

Charlotte said...

hooray on the finish!

DeborahGun said...

what a great swap. I love the pot holder especially!

Patti said...

You did an incredible job on the bag! I found the Quilt Barn SAL after I struggled with my first bag! That is my favourite pot holder pattern too! Your partner is sooo lucky!

Kelly said...

A triumph! Love that hexie potholder and well all of it really.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Wowza - lucky partner!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

What a fantastic collection! Your partner will love it :)

pennydog said...

Wow, this is probably the best swap package ever made!

Anonymous said...

I'm so bummed I missed this round. I've had to not do swaps this year to get other projects done, but I'm bummed about this one! everything looks fantastic!

Indianna said...

Great zippy finish and I love all the hexie things you found to send along with it.

Deb said...

Love your version this bag...gorgeous

Wendy said...

such a fab pouch, I really have to make one. Love your solids in the pocket section

auntie sash said...

The bag & the other treasure are adorable. Nicely done!!