Sunday 1 December 2013

HEADBOARD TOPPER and coordinating pillow cases


Image from The Village Haberdashery

Henna is a new fabric line by Beth Studley of Love from Beth.  This is Beth's first fabric line and it has been produced by Makower UK.  I was one of a few people from the London Modern Quilt Guild to accept her challenge to make something with a few pieces of this stunning fabric!

The criteria was to be creative, be unique, 'sell' the fabric, use as much of the fabric given to me as possible, be an original/my own idea and write a tutorial as well.

My idea was to make a HEADBOARD TOPPER.  I was looking for a unique way to jazz up a headboard and to inject some beautifully rich colours into the bedroom.  The Henna fabrics I was given contained a lot of purple (one of my favourite colours) so I used that as my backing and as added detail to the pillow cases.    


The headboard topper was so much fun to make!  From a rough sketch to a mock up/practise topper to seeing the completed project in situ in my bedroom is so satisfying!!  It certainly does jazz up the headboard and inject some richness to the bedroom.

Continuing with the scallop idea, I embellished a pair of crisp white pillow cases to echo the scallops on the headboard topper.  I even used some fancy stitches on my sewing machine to add a little extra detail to the purple strip on the pillow cases. 


With a few of the remaining scraps, I made a cushion cover.  However, once I put the last stitch in and turned it out, it reminded me of a zippy pouch so I decided to put my folded pyjamas in it!  It has become my 'pj pillow pouch'!!  To continue the theme of all three pieces of the 'set', I used the same stitches on the pj pillow pouch as on the pillow cases, and the same ones on the topper on this pj pillow pouch.  


I really enjoyed sewing this coordinated ensemble for my bedroom.  My purple sheets are a great solid paired with these fabrics and these projects - thank you Beth for letting me take part in your challenge and I look forward to making my bed each morning and seeing my new coordinated accessories/decorations'!


My TUTORIAL to make the Headboard topper WILL FOLLOW shortly!

Linking to TGIFF over at Quokka Quilts

17 comments:

MetroQuilter said...

A great set of makes that really did justice to the fabric. Well done you.

Indianna said...

Gorgeous fabrics and its great to use those fancy machine stitches that get neglected too often.

MetroQuilter said...

A great set of makes that really did justice to the fabric. Well done you.

Di said...

Gorgeous fabrics and clever makes. Di x

Anonymous said...

the pillows are fantastic, the Henna really works brilliantly!

mammafairy said...

Definitely fun and rich and gorgeous, Amy. Lovely.

fiberchick said...

The combination of your design and those lovely prints is just fantastic!

Izzy said...

Very cool finishes. The headboard topper is such a creative idea. Really nice use of the fabric you were given.

Charlotte said...

so creative - I am most impressed!

Lisa said...

I would love to know about the pillowcases too! It all looks beautiful!

Strawberry Patch said...

So original Amy!

DeborahGun said...

just love the colours of these fabrics - remind me of my childhood in India :-)

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Great idea Amy! Your bed looks so pretty all dressed up. Love those fabrics - the colours are gorgeous!

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

That's a really great fabric range, loving the colours and prints and how you've used them :D

Nilya said...

Oh what a lovely fabric line! Love the oriental look of your bed now, well done :)

audrey said...

Oooh, this is gorgeous! I love this entire set! Can't wait to see your tutorial! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful, what a great idea! I love the fabric, too!