Today I worked on my Marcelle Medallion cushion/pillow for a swap I am in. Despite a few hiccups along the way while making the front (some Y-seam frustrations, one section of Border 1 misbehaving several times, some wonky star points and the tip of my finger getting caught in the sewing machine needle while sewing*), I eventually got the medallion done!!! I decided on some simple quilting and then got mentally prepared to make the back of the cushion. For this I wanted to have a hidden zip. It would be my first one...EVER!
I figured that since I had survived all those hurdles to make the front, I could persevere and learn how to make the back. I then searched the Internet for some tutorials on hidden zips but I just couldn't quite work out the images so I went to YouTube. Gosh, what did we do before the world wide web? Here is the fab video that I followed:
And yay it all made sense and I actually made a hidden zip on the back of the cushion! The best bit is that it even works!! Here is the back of the cushion:
My medallion measured 19.5" once I trimmed it and squared it up so I put a 22" insert in to see how it looked. I quite like the super-full effect! I added a 'tag' on the side too - just a little touch of Union Jack ribbon folded into a tab so my partner can see where it was made!
So there you have it - my first ever hidden zip on a cushion. The deadline to post our projects to our partner is in a week so I will reveal the whole front of the pillow another day.
*Luckily the needle was only in a few layers of my skin so when I reacted and pulled my hand away, the needle just ripped out of the skin and I was free. No blood thank goodness but I now have a crazy chunk out of my finger though!
Yay I completed one of my seven goals for the 2nd Quarter. Here is my original list.