Saturday 16 March 2013

Emerald challenge COMPLETE!

I am happy to have finally finished my Pantone Colour of the Year: Emerald challenge.  I am entering it into the Mini Quilt category over on a2 (w).  I made a gigantic Aurifil spool to look like variegated green Aurifil thread!  This mini quilt/wall hanging measures approximately 24 x 30 inches.

I used nearly 30 different low-volume fabrics for the background and I love the effect!


In the spool I did some dense quilting in an emerald coloured thread to give the effect of thread on the spool and for the background low-volume prints I tried some hand stitched circles in grey thread.  This was my first time stitching circles and I thought it may be a nice design to try.  I need more practise on hiding the finished knots but I sort of enjoyed the hand stitching in a frustrated-why-am-I-doing-this kind of way! 


The picture above shows the back of the mini with my stitched circles.  It is really neat how the circles on the front sort of disappear and melt into the low-volume.  Below is a picture of the dense quilting on the back - all before washing.  I can't wait to wash it and dry it in the tumble dryer to see how squishy and quilty it will go, especially around the hand stitched areas! 


I nearly forgot to add the hanging corners but I remembered in time!  As you can just see at the top of the hanging corner and at the bottom of the hanging corner, the binding is a variety of colours of my Oakshott fabrics to tie in the Oakshott in the spool part of the mini.  Oh how I love Oakshott fabrics!


I am so happy it is finally completed.  Emerald is my birthstone so I am quite a fan of this colour of green!  My mom gave me a ring with emeralds on it for my 18th birthday so emeralds are pretty special to me.  I have thoroughly enjoyed making my 'Aurifil' mini for the challenge.  I wonder when I will finish my other emerald mini (wonky crosses)?  I shall add it to my WiP list!!!


Linking to a squared (w) - check out all the other Pantone Emerald projects linked up.  Yum!
Linking to Finish it Friday and Monday link up.
And yay - this is my Lovely Year of finishes March goal - DONE!  [original goal setting post here]!

2013 Emerald Quilt Challenge

A Lovely Year of Finishes


20 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

It is perfect!

heart of charnwood said...

It's gorgeous, well done! :o)

Little Island Quilting said...

Very clever. As soon as I saw it, I knew what it was!

Kelly said...

It is fabulous Amy!

Charlotte said...

love it!!!!!!

Joanne said...

It looks wonderful and I love that circle quilting!!

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

So clever! Perfect homage to my favorite thread brand! And your quilting is perfect!

Heidi Staples said...

I love it, Amy! And that low volume background is fabulous!

Catherine said...

It is brilliant! I love the contrast between the greens and the background. I like your wonky crosses too!

moira said...

it's just brilliant, amy. well done

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Great design and wonderful quilting.

Jenniffier said...

That is super cute and beautiful. Great job all around.

Celtic Thistle said...

Lovely mini, the low volumes are the perfect background

Alison V. said...

What a perfect addition to a sewing room! :)

CeLynn said...

What a Lovely finish! You did a wonderful job on the hand quilting too :0)

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

This is really cute! I saw it in the Flickr pool when I was adding my entries. Good luck! Have they announced the winners yet?

Thanks for linking up!

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Oh, Amy, this is wonderful. Love the spool and the low volume background is perfect. YAY!!! x

Erin said...

Oh that's a great quilt. Nicely done.

CapitolaQuilter said...

Aurifil must be lovin' you LOL. I don't use any other thread myself so I totally get it. Fun Quilt.

Patti said...

Fantastic quilt for a sewing room, and who doesn't love some cute thread! The low volume background sets is off perfectly.